Sunday, June 23, 2019

Summer Trip 2019: Day 1 - Portland, OR

After literally months of planning and at least two lists created for packing, we took off from Seattle on a cloudy Saturday morning.  I hadn't realized how much anticipation I had worked up through all of preparation. 

I also hadn't taken the time to reflect how much I would miss Wendy, the house, the dog, etc.  This trip will be the longest I've away from her since before we were married and the longest I've been away from Seattle since our Alaskan adventure a few years ago.  This may sound contrite, but as I stood in the garage/shop the night before I looked at my tools hung up on the peg board and thought, "I'll miss you and I hope I won't need you."

Day 1 was fortunately a short trip down to Portland where we met up with my dear friend Sarah Richardson and her family (husband Aaron, daughters Piper  & Larkin) right after lunch.  We decided to drive over to the Columbia River and hang out on a beach near the airport.  The timing couldn't have been more perfect as the clouds disappeared so we enjoyed a nice hot sun along with a gentle breeze.



The water was cold, but it certainly didn't stop the kids from playing in the river or from Aaron jumping in to save a guy's jet ski that was listlessly spinning in a circle after the guy had fallen off and was too exhausted to save it.  I gave Aaron a hard time since I thought the only reason he jumped in that cold water was to get a chance to drive a jet ski.  No one can frown on a  driving a jet ski!


Portland is a lovely city where people are just more social than in Seattle.  It may be the topography, but I noticed that there is a lot more social interaction between neighbors and strangers.  Just a greater sense of community.  Aaron, Sarah and I spent most of the time talking about an array of topics which were only interrupted by small humans and 747s flying overhead.  After the beach, we headed out to dinner at this really cool brewery (there is a brewery on every corner around here) which had small, independent food booths out in the parking lot.  Think of food trucks without the wheels.  Very good artisan options with an emphasis on locally sourced, organic materials.  Ever see an episode of Portlandia?  Think that.

Well, Day 1 is in the books.  Would love to stay longer, but the trail awaits us.  Off to Bend, OR!

2 comments:

  1. Day one. Check. Relax a little bit now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes on your trip! Sounds like it got off to a great start...it's so nice to catch up with people you know at stops along the way.

    ReplyDelete