Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Epic Summer Trip 2019: Day 16 - Pensacola, FL


The next part of our adventure could have come right out of a movie script or a sitcom.  From New Orleans the plan was to travel about 3 ½ hours over to Pensacola, FL where Wendy’s Aunt Budgie and Uncle Todd live.  Aunt Budgie is my mother-in-law’s sister and they have two grown up kids, Sara and David.  Budgie’s name isn’t her given name which is actually Mildred, but Budgie hates that name with a passion so she has always been called Budgie. 
A couple of days before heading to Pensacola I get a text from Wendy telling me that Budgie and Todd might not be a their house, because they’re currently on vacation in Italy.  That seemed odd to me since about a month prior I had confirmed with Budgie that we would be coming.  I texted Budgie to see if they were going to be around and sure enough, they were in Italy!  Budgie got in me in touch with her daughter, Sara who lives locally and Sara assured me it was fine to stay at their house.  As we were driving closer, Sara let me know that she would probably be at the beach when we arrived, but Patrick would let me in.  Who’s Patrick?!  Sara texted me back, “You mean Budgie didn’t tell you about Patrick?”



We finally arrive at the Budgie & Todd’s beautiful corner lot house around 3:30 CST complete with a pool and stand-alone garage.  I called Patrick on his cell phone to let him know we had arrived and an older gentleman with an Irish accent greets us and helps me pull the camper into the driveway.  I didn’t get the whole story, but Patrick lives above Todd and Budgie’s garage.  To fill out the character of Patrick, he is accompanied by a one-eyed dog named Henry.  Where am I and what is going on?!
Patrick let’s us into the house and I feed the kids left over hotdogs and baked beans that were hidden away in Budgie & Todd’s refrigerator.  Sara had just had a 4th of July party so I was hoping that these were leftovers and not necessarily from before Budgie and Todd left.  Oh well, no one died after we ate them.  I tried reaching out to Sara to see if we could meet up, but she was still at the beach.  I told the kids to get changed so we could head out to the beach.  Drew really wanted to swim in the pool and that’s when a random kid shows up in the back yard and jumps in the pool.  No adults in sight, no explanation.  I’m so confused. 
We changed into our swim suits and another kid shows up in the pool along with an adult.  I go out and introduce myself.  Apparently Todd & Budgie have an ‘open pool’ policy in which the neighborhood kids can come over whenever they want to swim.  They know not to get in when a party is going on, though.  Ha!  All I can do is shake my head. 
The kids and I get directions to the beach from the random neighbor so we head out.  The sand is perfectly white and the water was so warm and clear.  The type of warmth that you can just lay or stand in the water and never get cold or uncomfortable.  We swam a couple of hours until Sara texted us so that we could meet up for dinner.  Olivia’s eyes started to hurt from the salt water so we headed back to the house to clean up.  
Sara and her partner, Ryan, arrived shortly after and we made plans to go out for pizza at a local spot that used to be hospital.  Ryan said that his mom was actually born in the hospital!  We had some delicious pies and some great conversation where we talked about the work Sara was doing helping to provide voting rights to ex-felons in the state of Florida.  Back in November, there was a public referendum passed to allow ex-felons to vote, but recently the state legislator and governor passed laws that basically stated that felons need to pay back court costs prior to being able to vote which basically equates to a poll tax.  Florida and the south in general have a very bad record at disenfranchising minority voters all the way back to the Voter Rights Act.  Very interesting and very depressing stuff. 
After stuffing ourselves with pizza we decided to head out to a bar that was playing the Gold Cup (US vs. Mexico final in soccer).  We met up a with some of Sara & Ryan’s friends at the bar and enjoyed some local beer before heading back to the house.  I was surprised when we got back to the house to see the friends we had just met.  Apparently one of the friends was staying at the house and needed to get her suitcase.  Sara mentioned that Todd and Budgie run a bit of a refugee camp through their house for folks passing through or need a place to stay. 
The Latshaws (Budgie & Todd’s last name) have huge hearts and care deeply about their friends and family.  They open up their home to everyone and anyone which is so heart warming.  From the simple observer, though, it can certainly catch you off guard when the hosts aren’t at home and all these different actors appear out of no where with no explanation.  Than you Budgie, Todd, Sara, and Ryan for being wonderful hosts.  If not in person, but in spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment